Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mike's Pastry

Mike's Pastry
300 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113

Aside from Boston's famous lobster rolls, the cannolis are another must-try eat while visiting the city.  Why are cannolis so popular here?  I'm not so sure.  I've never been that impressed with cannolis to begin with so I was a bit baffled by the rave reviews and popularity of Mike's.  To me, cannolis have always just been some cream in a tubular crunchy thing.  It's never been memorable.  I read that the line at Mike's can be quite long, 30 minutes plus.  I guess it was just my lucky day since my wait at Neptune was nonexistent.  Here, I just walked in and ordered.


They have a large selection of flavors from plain ricotta cheese to hazelnut and even Oreo.  There was so much to choose from and I didn't know what was good.  It was overwhelming.


I found the most interesting part of Mike's to be the way they boxed up your cannolis.  They have giant  spools of  twine hanging from the ceiling, which they use to ever so intricately tie up your box. I'm not entirely sure why they use like 50ft of twine to pack up such tiny boxes.  It makes untying the whole thing quite a chore.

Hazelnut
Chocolate Chip

So these were easily the best cannolis I have ever tried.  The pastry was crispy and flakey without being too heavy. The cream was lightly cheesy and just sweet enough.  They are served a bit chilled so it was cool in the mouth, which I really liked.  I can see why cannolis are a "thing" in Boston the way cupcakes and donuts are a "thing" probably everywhere else.  They are just delightful little sweets.  Most cannolis I've had just seem like they are filled with plain cream rather than ricotta cheese.  I quite enjoyed just the simplicity of chocolate chip, but the hazelnut was nice too.  I wished the flavors were throughout the whole cannoli and not just the ends.
Mike's Pastry is something special if you have a sweet tooth.  If you're a fan of cannolis than you HAVE to go here.  If neither apply to you, you might be underwhelmed.  I'm not sure there are better cannolis out there than in Boston, but I really have no basis for that statement so take it with a grain of salt.


10 - You NEED to eat here
9 - Awesome! (if you like cannolis)
8 - Very good
7 - Good 
6 - OK 
5 - Average
4 - Not bad
3 - Not good
2 - Terrible
1 - Do NOT eat here

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes