Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Good Taste

Good Taste (Old Town - Chinatown location)
18 NW 4th Ave
Portland, OR 97209
Yelp

After a few miles hiking through the evergreen forests of Portland, we definitely worked up a appetite for something comforting.  The noodles at Good Taste really hit the spot.  The place is your typical fobby Chinese joint.  Their mastery of cleanliness is only slightly outshined by their mastery of the English language.  Though, one could argue the opposite depending on which server you get.  Just kidding.  There was no hair in my food or bugs in my water.  Ok, I'm really just kidding now.  Good Taste is known for their rice and egg noodle dishes.  Their portions are generous.  Their prices are right.  It's not crowded.  The MSG is not terribly obvious.  What is there to hate about this place?

Chinese Brocolli oyster sauce
I love extra side dishes to my main course.  Pretty standard fare.


Steamed Chicken, Roasted Duck over Rice
Zhu Zhu Hamster went for the rice.  I think she rather liked the ginger scallion sauce.



Roasted Duck, BBQ Pork over Egg Noodles
Big Spoon went for the dry noodles with a side of broth.

Super Bowl A roasted pork, roasted duck, shrimp and pork wontons
Deceptively dull looking huh?  But there's a reason they call this "super."  It seriously has an insane amount of food, like way more than I could finish.  Honestly, I didn't even want the super bowl A because it seemed way too big and I knew I wouldn't finish it.  I was definitely right.  I had all this leftover meat at the end.  The broth was probably more meat bone based than shrimp based which I think is how traditional Cantonese wonton noodle soup is made.  That might explain the slightly unappealing murkiness to the broth, but I assure you it was plenty delicious.  All the meat was really well done as well.
The noodles were also plentiful.  The touch of bok choy was nice, but I love tons of veggies so I was glad to munch on some Chinese broccoli in between the carbs and protein.

I especially liked the plump shrimp and pork wontons.  Mind you it was more pork than shrimp, but I think that's just the theme going on here.  Meat upon meat, upon more MEAT!



Good Taste served food that literally left a "good taste" in my mouth.  While I still prefer Kenny's Noodle House better for their cleaner more classic wonton noodle soup.  I would come back to Good Taste anytime.  It's more conveniently located to downtown Portland too.  If you're visiting Portland, there really isn't any need to go out of your way for Good Taste if you have reasonable access to decent wonton noodles.  But if you're a Portland resident, you can add this to your list of places to hit up when you're craving something comforting and to the point.  Don't come for the service or ambiance, unless you like fobs or harsh fluorescent lighting.


10 - You NEED to eat here  
9 - Awesome! 
8 - Very good
7 - Good (if you live in Portland)
6 - OK (if you live anywhere else that has good wonton noodles)
5 - Average
4 - Not bad
3 - Not good
2 - Terrible
1 - Do NOT eat here







0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes