Thursday, May 28, 2009

Leek and Corn Risotto

Risotto is such a labor intensive dish, if you ask me. It's not just something you can start and walk away. Sometimes I don't know why I bother to make it cuz it's not like I love it to death. I suppose I just attempt to vary up the starches in my meals when it comes to American food, you can only eat potatoes so many times. So I was at a tasting for my brother's wedding food at the Huntington Hilton and I had a wonderful leek and corn risotto. It tasted simple enough, so I thought I'd try to make a version.

The first time I made it, I wasn't so impressed. I think it was the frozen corn that I used. This time I used fresh corn, which was really sweet. And maybe the stock I used was different.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 leeks chopped (when I say 2, I mean 2 well prepared leeks minus all the tough greeny parts which really leaves you with mostly the whites) approximately 2 cups
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 1/2 tsp chopper garlic
2 cups arborio rice
3/4 cups white wine
6 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste



"In a heavy pot, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the leeks are soft but not brown and the corn is tender, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer, stirring, until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, until each addition of stock is nearly completely absorbed. Continue until all of the stock has been added and the risotto is creamy."

So although it doesn't look terribly delicious, it was tastey but didn't taste quite as delicious as the risotto from my brother's wedding dinner. The color was somewhat off as well, looking more brown than clean and creamy white. That was probably due to the stock. I really think a good risotto starts with an excellent stock. And in this case, the fresh corn made the difference and using mostly the whites of the leek.



Be prepared for an incredible amount of leftovers. I'm only feeding 2, but this recipe could probably feed 4-6.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes