Thursday, December 25, 2014

Screendoor

Southern food is not really my favorite food.  The food is just too heavy and low on the vegetable/high fiber component.  I'm not a healthnut really, but I prefer balance in my diet and Southern food represents everything wrong with the American diet in this country.  So you'll rarely see my seek out Southern food, which might explain why Screendoor was never high on my priority list in Portland.  It also did not help that the wait for weekend brunch can easily exceed an hour.  Big Spoon joined The Gunner and I for a delightful brunch on an unsurprisingly grey Saturday morning when the wait was less than 30 minutes.  Score!

Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich house smoked pork shoulder, creamy coleslaw, toasted bun
People go crazy for pulled pork, and now I know why.  This sh*t was BOMB.  The coleslaw and pork were a perfect combination of sweet, salt, tang, crunch.  Our waiter said he's worked at the restaurant for 8 years and he ate this everyday for the first couple years.  It was that good.  Between the 3 of us, I ate half.  My only ding was that the bottom bun got soaked with grease pretty fast.

Does anybody notice anything wrong with this picture??
If you guessed that half the diners in the party were busy on their phones or taking pics, then you have valid point.  But the common denominator is this bad boy.


Chicken 'n Waffles
The chicken was juicy and crispy.  The waffle wasn't all the memorable but together it made for a solid dish overall.  My only complaint was that the chicken was seasoned with too much pepper.  Other than that, you have to order this.

Pecan Maple Bacon
Big Spoon felt this was a must, but this was my least favorite dish.  Not to say it was bad, but everything else was just so delicious.  Bacon with less going on would have been just fine for me.
Bananas Foster French Toast rum-flavored caramelized bananas, whipped cream, cinnamon

You know me and bananas, but this was pretty tasty.
Overall, Screendoor was one of the best brunches I've had in a long time.  I can't wait to go back and try the other Southern offerings.  I guess they might convert me into a Southern food fiend.  They had a whole bunch of specials that day, but I knew I had to stick to the solid favorites for at least the first try.  While Screendoor is slinging their goods nightly, they only serve brunch on the weekends.  This is a Portland must guys!  And don't forget to wear you're stretchy pants!

10 - You NEED to eat here 
9 - Awesome! 
8 - Very good
7 - Good 
6 - OK
5 - Average
4 - Not bad
3 - Not good
2 - Terrible
1 - Do NOT go here


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes