Monday, June 2, 2014

Tupelo Junction

Santa Barbara is truly an idyllic little town.  Such a contrast to the recent tragedy that occurred there recently.  But I don't want to bring down the mood, so let's stick to what makes most people happy.  The Mom, HemaSh, and I took a quick weekend getaway to Santa Barbara.  We didn't do much, just eating, walking around, and yapping like the besties we are.  I've known these ladies for over 15 years now!

Cinnamon Apple Beignets creme anglaise
HemaSh seemed a bit disappointed with the beignets, which were more like donut holes.  I didn't mind one bit.  I love dense fried balls.  That sounds all wrong, so get your minds out of the gutters folks.  There were bits of apple chunks in the beignets, which brought just a subtle fruitiness.  They were piping HOT that's for sure.



Red Beans & Rice vegetarian style, roasted shallots

Being the anti-vegetarian, I was surprised at how tasty this was.  It had lots of varying textures and flavors.  It was quite enjoyable.


Blackened Wild Salmon Salad chili style black beans, corn
The Mom ordered this one, so I didn't get a taste, but she seemed happy.  Didn't seem like anything too special was going on here.

Pan Seared Dungeness Crab Cake & Potato Hash avocado salsa
This was one of the more popular items on the menu, so I had to give it a go.  Under that pile of guac was a sweet meaty crab cake, certainly one of the better ones I've had.  With the potatoes and the runny egg yolk, the dish got to be pretty heavy.  I could only eat half.  Please don't bother with their biscuits.  They're pretty terrible.  I feel like I could make a better one with any random recipe from the internet.




I quite enjoyed Tupelo Junction.  I'm glad we were able to hit up the place on a weekday because I think their weekend brunch wait is pretty horrendous.  Why won't brunch places take reservations?? I'm glad I'm not a particularly die hard brunch fiend, or I'd be pretty unhappy having to wait everywhere.  Would I wait an hour for this place?  It's hard to say, but I think maybe if this is where Santa Barbarians go for brunch.  It's solid.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes