Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Galbijjim

So after discovering the deliciousness of galbijjim at Seongbukdong, I had Korean savory fall-off-the-bone tender meat on my mind.  It was never anything I thought I could recreate at home.  The Pouter and I discussed that a pressure cooker was probably involved in making such a culinary treasure.  But I actually came across a pretty manageable recipe on Manngchi.com.  So off to H Mart I went.  Yes, there is an H Mart in Portland!

I bought a family pack of short ribs because it was on sale.  The other half is in my freezer waiting for some inspiration.


There was a WHOLE LOT OF FAT that I had to trim off the meat.  Some pieces were mutilated because they were soo fatty, so after all the trimming, there wasn't much left but a big bone and some meat dangling off.



The recipe is pretty simple and doesn't require much aside from the things below, some soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and rice wine.

So I just used my trusty dutch oven to tackle this recipe.  There ain't nothing my dutch oven can't handle.  I should give it a name.  Any suggestions?

After a couple hours of stewing the meat takes on great color and certainly great flavor.

Maangchi's original recipe called for Korean corn syrup which I omitted and the dish turned out well and already sweet enough in my opinion.


Galbijjim
Adapted from Maangchi.com

2 lbs. (about 1 kg) of beef short ribs
2 cups water
1 tablespoon cooking wine
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
8 cloves minced garlic
½ sliced onion
1 tablespoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 carrots carrots
1/4 potato, cubed


1. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
2. Boil water in a large pot. Put in the short ribs. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
3. Take out the ribs from the boiling water and wash them with cold water to remove unnecessary fat or floating bubbles.
4. Throw away the boiling water and clean the pot.
5. Place the clean beef short ribs in the pot.
6. Prepare a bowl to make seasoned water by mixing 2 cups of water, 4 tbs soy sauce, 8 cloves of minced garlic), ½ sliced onion, 1 tbs rice wine, and 1 tbs brown sugar.
7. Add it to the short ribs in the pot.
8. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes.
9. Open the lid of the pot and add all ingredients (carrot, potatoes) to the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 hour over low heat.
10. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
11. Add 1 tbs sesame oil, ½ ts black pepper, and heat it up over high heat. Mix it well until liquid evaporates



Unfortunately I added my veggies too early and my potatoes essentially disintegrated. Nevertheless, the flavor was amazing. Another highly recommended dish. Maangchi knows what shes talking about.

2 comments:

His And Hers at September 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian at October 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM said...

You LOVE koreans

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes