Friday, August 5, 2011

Lucha Libre

A few weeks ago, the high school crew (+ The Toothbrush Sharer) and I celebrated Dubabo's birthday in sunny San Diego.  Much to my surprise, after too many years post-graduation, were all still good friends.  Most of them still hang out regularly (DJ SuCha, HemaSh, CMac Attack, etc) but I'm just too far and too busy to hike it down to the OC to hang out most of the time.  But when I do get to meet up, it's like time never really passed.  It's just good times through and through which makes me really happy.

HemaSh lived in San Diego for 3 years so she pretty much served as our trusty guide.  She suggested Lucha Libre for lunch.  It's a pretty funny little joint with pictures of lucha libre fighters all over the walls that serves fancied up tacos, burritos, etc.


They even have a special golden booth that get's table side service and a special fight bell to ring to call the waiter.  We were sad we couldn't sit here since it was already reserved.  We just ordered at the counter and found some regular seats.



I love any Mexican place that has a salsa bar.  I looooooove to load up on all kinds of salsa.  I can eat salsa plain as an appetizer of sorts.  All the salsa's were pretty standard, but I still give it two thumbs up!

Surf and Turf Burrito grilled steak, shrimp, avocado slices, pico de gallo, rice, super secret chipotle sauce

The burrito was pretty enormous and really packed.  It was a bit on the dry side so of course I slathered it in salsa as I probably would do to any other burrito.  I actually was not a fan of this "super secret" sauce since it was on the creamy side.  I'll usually hold the sour cream and cheese on my Mexican food.  Blasphemy, I know, but I prefer the taste of tomatoes and salsa in my food and anything creamy just detracts from that.  Anyways, the beef had a funny "beefy" smell which was slightly off putting.  The shrimp was pretty salty and definitely not fresh.  The burrito was pretty average.

Everyone else seemed to like their food from the tacos and burritos to the taquitos.  Fortunately, we arrived just before the crowds came.  By the time we left, the line was out the door, so apparently I must be missing what this place is all about.  I think I just ordered wrong.  The menu is quite extensive, so I would probably give the place another shot and try it again.  I simply cannot resist an open salsa bar!

Lucha Libre
1810 W. Washington Street
San Diego , CA 92110


View Larger Map

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes