Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sea Hag

Apologies for my absence from the blogosphere.  I've found myself at a bit of a transition in my life, ending one chapter and starting a new one.  Hopefully, this next chapter will leave me less overworked and underfed, which will allow for new and different food adventures.  To kick things off, I'll be blogging about my recent vacation to Thailand.  We (Dumpling Man, Care Bear, Token Bear aka Random Bear, Panda Bear, Little Bear, and myself) hit up Phuket, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai (just Dumpling Man and myself).  Yay! for hot as balls humidity, fun in the sun, more temples and buddhas than I could count, and elephants that paint flowers and trees.  As for the food, I tried my best to find authentic Thai eats but we could only do so well without speaking the language.    We definitely relied on pictures and English translations, so we couldn't go too far off the beaten path.

Sea Hag is probably one of those restaurants frequented by tourists since its in a pretty busy/touristy area of Patong Beach on the island of Phuket, but it was pretty solid start to our exotic vacation.

Squid Salad tomatoes, onions, lime, chili, cilantro, glass noodles
Complements of the house!  The squid was a bit chewy, but I never met a Thai salad I didn't like.  I love the combination of salty, sweet, tangy, and spicy.


Larb Gai ground chicken, lime, chili, onions, rice powder
Another Thai favorite of mine.  It was sort of a paltry serving, but I enjoyed it.




Panang Beef Curry
The curries here were the most different from any of the curries we had on our trip or back at home.  The flavors are hard to describe, but we all liked them.

Morning Glory
Like healthy vegetable eating adults, every meal was always accompanied by a serving of stir fried morning glory.  Crunchy, verdant, salty, spicy, garlicky...yum!

Fried Fish with Chili Garlic Sauce
Not particularly impressive, but the sauce was sweet and spicy.  Care Bear is not such a fan of fish or really anything with heads or tentacles still intact and served on a plate.

Yellow Chicken Curry
Dumpling Man loves curry and he found the flavors here to be really interesting but indescribable.  Two thumbs way up will have to suffice.

Steamed Fish with Mushrooms
I was still starving after all that and Panda Bear always seems to be able to eat no matter what, so we ordered another fish.  We were arguing what was all the stuff on top of the fish.  Some voted for more mushrooms and others voted for chicken.  I was in disbelief that they would top protein with more protein, but indeed those fleshy bits are chicken pieces!  Anyways, it was a good fish, but nothing spectacular.  

I think I'm missing some pictures of dishes we ordered, probably a noodle dish and another salad. Overall, we were pretty satisfied with Sea Hag.  It's probably more authentic than A LOT of the other beach front restaurants, which frequently serve pasta, burgers, pizza, and steak in addition to traditional Thai classics.  Trip Advisor users certainly approve since its the #1 of 122 restaurants in Patong with a whopping 181 (mostly favorable) reviews.  Don't bother getting the alcoholic beverages since theres more sugar and water than liquid courage.  I think it's safe to say that about all the Thailand restaurants.  I don't think Thais know how to get their drink on!

Sea Hag 
78/5 Permpong Soi III
Soi Wattana clinic Rd. 
Patong Beach 
Patong, Phuket, Thailand

1 comments:

Kimberly at July 7, 2011 at 7:08 AM said...

That was the name of the restaurant?! Sea Hag? I'm amazed you remember the names of the dishes we ordered. I don't remember anything, and it's not because of their over sugared, minimal alcohol margaritas. They apparently get their drink on with scotch/whiskey? Not my going out drink of choice. Yay for the blog!! Brings back good food memories :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes