Saturday, May 15, 2010

Best Homemade Sandwich

I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to my own cooking. I think I compare too much to how food tastes in restaurants, and thats probably an unfair comparison since I ain't no formerly trained chef and I haven't spent years training and focusing on to merry wonderful ingredients with wonderful tastes. Anyways, for this entry I'm going to toot my own horn like no other. This is probably one of my more solid creations. NO recipes, nothing. Just straight from my good ole noggin. BEHOLD! I shall call it "Honey Mustard Maple Turkey Sandwich." Boring name, but really quite a party in your mouth =).

Here are the ingredients. I highly discourage substitutions, for it is these very ingredients that make the sandwich a solid eat. So most of these things you will get from Trader Joes.

-Par Baked Panini Rustic Rolls
-Columbus Maple Turkey Breast
-Deli Thin Sliced Jarlsberg cheese
-Honey Dijon Mustard
-Romaine lettuce leaves
-Tomatoes
-Sauteed crimini mushrooms with caramelized onions



The key ingredient is the honey dijon mustard and the sauteed mushrooms with caramelized onions. A high onion to mushroom ratio works well, so that you can really get tastiness of the the caramelized onions into the sandwich. I'll admit its not truly caramelized since I don't have the patience to sit there and cook the onions over low heat for forever. I just get some nice color into the onions. Below is a higher mushroom to onion ratio then I would like, but still comes out tasty. Season with some salt and pepper and let the mushrooms and onions do the rest of the talking.





Assembly:
Panini roll cut in half, lightly toasted with melted Jarlsberg cheese
Generous squeeze of honey dijon mustard
2-2.5 slices of maple turkey
Sauteed onions/mushrooms
Tomatoes and then chopped lettuce

Served with a side of pasta salad!




I'll have to admit that the sandwich gets very messy. Half the stuff falls out and I've never been able to or motivated to figure out a different assembly order to prevent this. Melting the cheese into the mushrooms would work but require too much effort. Maybe I just overfill the darn things. In any case, you do get something delicious that will surely get all over the place. Dumpling Man gives his seal of approval for this one!

1 comments:

Darius at May 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM said...

looks & sounds tasty. bravo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes