Thursday, January 28, 2016

Kihei Caffe

So my favorite part of Maui was watching the sun rise at Haleakala Crater.  It was pretty painful waking up so early and driving up the windy mountain, only to wait for over an hour for the sun to rise in the blustery cold.  The picture does not do the experience justice.  You feel like you're on top of the world.  Watching it from above the clouds as golden rays of sunshine are about to drown the world in the warmth of its light.  Before you know it, night becomes day within minutes.

I totally passed out on the way back down the mountain and woke up as we were arriving to Kihei Caffe.  It's a local joint, very Hawaiian, and very laid back.  You stand in line, pay for your order, and they bring the food to your table.  The food is equally as unpretentious as the setting.

Breakfast Burrito eggs, cheese, home fries, salsa, guacamole, jalapeños, flour tortilla
The Flatulent Snorer was adamant about the burrito.  I think he was a bit disappointed.  There wasn't much too spectacular here.


Pork Fried Rice & Eggs onion, bell peppers, portuguese sausage, ham, bacon
The fried rice was my favorite dish.  The combination of portuguese sausage, ham, and bacon created a deliciously smokey, salty, and savory breakfast dish.  I would recommend this one.



Loco Moco two eggs, fresh ground beef patty, rice, brown gravy
I was really craving something homey, meaty, and saucey so I was pushing for this dish.  I don't think everyone else found the dish as comforting.  It's not the best loco moco I've had, but it was as expected.  The beef patty could have be more flavorful.


Corned Beef Hash biscuits, gravy, rice
Corned beef will always remind me of my dad.  I'm not sure what he liked about it because it can just be greasy salty and pretty unhealthy.  It still brings back good memories for me.  In hash form with biscuits, gravy, and rice, it was a new dish to me.  Still, nothing refined or spectacular here.

French Toast banana macadamia nut
I'm not much for french toast.  I prefer pancakes but these were pretty solid.  Not too eggy.  Plenty of nuts and bananas.



Kihei Caffe fed my tired tired soul.  Anything good at that hour, with that little sleep, would have sated my appetite.  I think the rest of the group felt the same.  We all knew that we've had better brunch food elsewhere.  But the food here is very popular among the masses.  It's simple and unpretentious.


10 - You NEED to eat here
9 - Awesome!
8 - Very good
7 - Good 
6 - OK 
5 - Average
4 - Not bad 
3 - Not good
2 - Terrible
1 - Do NOT eat here


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

sharethis

 
Home | About | Link | Link
Simple Proff Blogger Template Created By Herro | Inspiring By Busy Bee Woo Themes